Length: 13 min.
Play with Windows Media Player: 300k or 700k
The Roman city of Pompeii, a prosperous, bustling center of activity in the ancient world, was frozen in time under a rain of volcanic debris on August 24 in the year A.D. 79. Today, the remarkably preserved ruins of the city and the personal effects abandoned in haste recall the lives of ordinary Roman citizens in a uniquely vivid way. Complete with a re-enactment of the horrible last moments, this video describes the city, its people and what they were doing on that fateful day.
Produced by George H. RussellCopyright 1991 by Educational Video Network, Inc.
- Pompeii Art and Architecture Gallery
- The Forgotten City of Pompeii (includes a pictorial tour of the city)
- Pompeii: A Lost City Revealed (Discovery)
- Pompeii: Unraveling Ancient Mysteries (Harcourt)
- Archaeology’s Interactive Dig-Pompeii
- Pompeii Forum Project (University of Virginia)
- Pompeii Forum Project (plans, images, discussions)